Monday, November 7, 2016

Voting for evil or voting for what American can be

The following quote is from a video I just watched:

I will vote to oppose the loss of freedom.  I will vote to oppose the loss of life.  And I will vote to oppose the loss of the traditional family.”
 ~ Tommy Nelson, The Continental Divide 

After some reflection I realize that the sentences above are each negative votes  They are votes of opposition, even votes of fear.  They are defensive.  They are truly votes of protest rather than affirmations of what America can be as a country.  

Maybe we should take a different approach to voting.

As for me, I will vote for one who will support and defend the Constitution.  I will vote for one who will submit to the Constitution as written and to the rule of law.  I will vote for one who does not wink at political corruption as the art of a deal or as a convenient means to an end.
 
Thereby I will vote to support freedom.

As for me, I will vote for one who values all human life since all human life is made in the image of God.  I will vote for one who respects the human rights of all citizens and residents regardless of their race, ethnicity, or national origin, as well as regardless of their religious, political, or social views and beliefs.

Thereby, I will vote to value life and the dignity of people.

As for me, I will vote for a person of competence and character to have the job of President.  I will vote for one competent to deal with Congress, to be commander-in-chief of the military, to be effective in both domestic and foreign affairs.  I will vote for someone I can best trust to lead us through still dangerous times.

Thereby, I will vote to support a better America and a safer world.

After reading the above, you may think me an incredibly self-righteous ass.  Be that as it may, I still have the problem of deciding for whom to vote.  I want my vote to count, to be tallied or enumerated, as well as to count for something important, something positive, something bigger than myself.

Neither of the two leading candidates meet, neither fails to meet, all my criteria.  All candidates are flawed human beings, but I sincerely believe those two are particularly appalling and clearly unfit for the office.  Neither is someone for whom I could vote in good conscience.  Neither am I constrained by the false dilemma of either Clinton or Trump.  In my state I have the option of voting for one out of a total of 36 candidates (four on the ballot, 32 certified for write-ins).

There is one of the 36 that I think is fit for office.  Evan McMullin appears to meet my criteria:  

I am not throwing my vote away voting for McMullin.  Throwing my vote away, as well as selling out my moral values, would be voting for Clinton or Trump.

This is not a “protest” vote.  A protest vote is voting for Trump because you don’t like Clinton or vice versa.  I do not have to vote for the lessor of two evils.  I do not need to settle for voting for evil.  I can vote for Evan McMullin without feeling degraded and ashamed.

In 2016 I do not have to vote for evil, incompetence, or corruption.  I can and will vote for affirmation of what America can be as a country.  I'm voting for Evan McMullin.

Be blessed!

No comments: