Thursday, April 15, 2010

palace or toxic waste dump?

You have to study and learn so that you can make up your own mind about history and everything else but you can’t make up an empty mind. It is your house of treasure and no one in the world can interfere with it. If you won the Irish Sweepstakes and bought a house that needed furniture would you fill it with bits and pieces of rubbish? Your mind is your house and if you fill it with rubbish from the cinemas it will rot in you head. You might be poor, your shoes might be broken, but your mind is your palace."

~ Mr. O'Halloran in Angela's Ashes by Frank McCourt


I read the above quote a while back from a friends blog that no longer is published. The quote got me to thinking about a couple of difficult people I have encountered of late. Each is very careful of the food they consume. For at least one it is a matter of fashion.

However, each of them is not very concerned about the stuff the put in the palace of their minds. The garbage they watch, the junk they read, the negative stuff they hear.

It just seems a bit inconsistent doesn't it?

Of course, when I point a finger at others it doesn't take me long to discover I'm pointing three fingers back at myself.

The bad stuff that slowly pollutes and poisons our minds, or at least the effect, is harder to get rid of than the effect of junk foods that our bodies absorb. Like junk food, the junk thoughts and junk ideas are quite enjoyable to consume. Do we think it doesn't matter because unlike food, the thoughts and ideas are not tangible so that somehow they aren't real?

I spend too much time consuming food, ideas, thoughts, images, words that are not good for me.

Why? I enjoy them.

This is dumb.

1 comment:

sam said...

Great post. So very true for us all.