Wednesday, December 24, 2008

die ohrwürmer von weihnachten

A song, or an advertising jingle, that invades your consciousness and won't leave. There's no word for this in English.... Here's where German comes to the rescue, with Ohrwurm, literally "ear-worm." You can almost picture the cute little fellow camping out in your ear, singing the inane ditty over and over, cheerfully evading your increasingly desperate attempts to silence him.
~~ German Joys.


This is the time of year when I suffer an infestation of ear-worms. I call them die Ohrwürmer von Weihnachten, literally the earworms of Christmas.

I'm talking about Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer, dogs barking Jingle Bells, plus many others of which I do not wish to be reminded. Being reminded only awakens the little buggers.

I have only heard part of Leroy the Redneck Reindeer once but now I am afraid to turn on the radio for fear that I might have another Ohrwurm implanted.

To control the infestation I must avoid all commercial radio. If I must have something on, I limit myself to NPR. However, even this strategy is not without risk.

On Christmas Eve, complete radio silence is imperative. On this night you cannot trust anyone.

Die Ohrwürmer von Weihnachten may still come alive without taking countermeasures. So I listen to carefully screened CD's of Christmas songs, carols, and hymns. Yes, these songs may have their own Ohrwürmer as well. However, these ear-worms build you up and cause you to focus on what Christmas should really be about. They actually have a positive, therapeutic effect.

You may not be completely rid of the little buggers, but at least you may be able to influence which ones are active. The right ones can actually help bring alive the original, authentic awe of Christmas to your soul.

Be blessed and Merry Christmas!
RB

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I so follow this...sometimes I need to leave my house, stand in the snowy field and listen for the voice of TRUTH!!!!
Michele

Paul said...

A Merry Christmas to you and yours. Thanks for the German lesson.