Saturday, November 8, 2008

the first kenyan-american president

One of my advisees, a wonderful young lady from Kenya, came into my office this week, her feet more than a few inches above the floor, beaming a huge, even bigger than usual smile. One look at her and I asked, "Happy there's a Kenyan-American President?"

"YES! We should forget calling him an African-American. He is Kenyan-American!"

To tease her a bit I replied, "Shouldn't we call him a Luo-American?" knowing full well that she wasn't Luo.

"No, Kenyan-American is just fine."

When CNN called the election for Obama, it was about 7 a.m. Wednesday morning in Kenya. The President of Kenya declared Thursday a national holiday.



It wasn't just Kenyans. I heard that some found it hard to sleep election night because of the noisy celebrations of African students.

Africans are generous people and like to share their joy.

Be blessed!
RB

No comments: