Friday, July 18, 2008

to track or not to track

I have an order from Amazon that is being shipped by DHL with an expected delivery date of July 21-23. Like many parcel delivery services, DHL allows you to track the progress of the package with email updates:

July 15 2008 4:40 PM
- Shipment received by carrier - Campbellsville, KY. (Hmmm...shipped out fast. Maybe I'll get it early?)
July 16 2008 9:19 AM
- Processed at DHL Location - DHL Wilmington Airpark, OH.
July 16 2008 4:45 PM - Depart Facility - DHL Wilmington Airpark, OH. (So far so good.)
July 17 2008 7:03 AM - Arrived at DHL facility - East Syracuse, NY. (Hey, I might get it tomorrow, Friday....)
July 17 2008 9:30 PM - Processed at DHL Location - East Syracuse, NY.
July 17 2008 10:13 PM - Depart Facility - East Syracuse, NY.
(Great news...I probably will get it on Friday.)
July 18 2008 1:04 AM - Arrived at DHL facility - Allentown Hub, PA. (NO! NO! Wrong way! Come on, you're owned by Germans: Yo, ahtung? Vee vill nicht tolerate zuch sloppiness! Ist Sie a bunch of sissie dumkophs?)
July 18 2008 8:59 AM - Arrived at DHL facility - East Syracuse, NY. (Ok, ok. Pretty quick correction there. Maybe Monday?)
July 18 2008 9:49 AM - With delivery courier - East Syracuse, NY. (Is this going to Watertown or, dare I say, even Canton? Be still my heart.)
July 18 2008 1:06 PM - Delivery arranged, no details expected. (I bet they took it to a post office so USPS can do the last leg. But is it at the Watertown or Syracuse PO? ...I just checked Amazon.com and they have it in Watertown. But is it with DHL or USPS? Oh, the suspense! ...I did some more detective work; checked out DHL.com; they handed off to USPS. It has got to be here Saturday morning.)

Offspring #3 informed me that this is exactly why one should not track packages. I guess so. If it comes early then it would be a pleasant surprise. Instead, I'll be disappointed if it is on time.

However, maybe this is more a sign that I have been spending this week in the library reading scholarly economics articles, therefore needing to be heavily caffeinated in order to be able to continue reading. Tracking this package is the most thrilling part of my day.

That is to say, maybe I need to get a life?

Be blessed.
RB

No comments: