Saturday, June 7, 2008

on creativity

This fall I will be facilitating an senior honors seminar. This is the first semester of a two-semester research project for our best students. Most do not really understand that research in economics, or any other field for that matter, is a creative endeavor very similar in its basic, most elemental nature to any other creative process.

I ran across this video and decided to steal it with attribution by noting I first saw it HERE. (This is called scholarship.) As of now I plan on using this (in fact all of the four segments of which this is part) in my seminar next fall. It may generate a discussion of how to apply this to my students' research projects.

OK. I admit it. Ira’s not my favorite reporter. But, in this case, he’s right on about the process involved in producing excellent creative work:



You may conclude that I am not being creative since I am merely lifting another person's post. If you are thinking this, let me assure you that you are quite wrong. Knowing what to lift (with attribution!) and putting it in a different context is being creative. That is scholarship. Scholarship is creative. Now if you want to get into the various relative degrees of scholarship.... Well, that is a different story and a different discussion. It may not be at the highest levels of creativity but it is creative.

Be blessed!
RB

P.S. I will also give this quote to my students:
Even in literature or art, no man who bothers about originality will ever be original: whereas if you simply try to tell the truth (without caring twopence how often it has been told before) you will, nine times out of ten, become original without ever having noticed it.
~ C. S. Lewis, MERE CHRISTIANITY

No comments: