Saturday, January 12, 2008

ain’t waiting for god no more

I was in a time of corporate worship one evening a little while ago, singing a Jason Upton song,

I will wait for you, Jesus
You’re the sun in my horizon
All my hope’s in you, Jesus
I can see you now arising


A beautiful song, wonderfully expressing the hearts of many believers. I’ve heard it, I’ve sung it, many times. [Warning: If you like this song you may not want to read further.]

That evening it hit me as we sung together and I thought to myself, “Wow. ‘You’re the sun in my horizon.’ What an absolutely lovely word picture.”

A fraction of a second later the words came to me, “Yes, but not realistic.”

Instantly, my quick-as-thunder mind responded with keen insight, “Huh?”

Where is the horizon?
Far away.

Who are you waiting for?
Jesus.

So where is Jesus in this picture?
The horizon. Far away.

In reality, where is Jesus and where are you? I am seated in the heavenly realms with Christ Jesus (Eph 2:6). Jesus lives in me (Rom 8:9-11; 1 Cor 3:16; Col 1:27). Jesus will never leave me nor forsake me (Heb 13:5).

Then what's with the waiting?
I’m not waiting for Jesus. I’m waiting with Jesus.

That is a big idea in a simple sentence: I am waiting with Jesus. If I’m waiting for anything worthwhile to happen, then so is God, and we’re doing it together. That revelation just turns around my attitude toward God, increases my faith level, and changes my prayer life. I do not have to wait for God to show up. He is here already. He is with me. If God is willing to wait, then so should I. I just need to listen to what he wants me to say or do, then if need be, God and I can wait together.

I'll never wait alone.

Be blessed!
RB

1 comment:

Kwabena said...

I like this and very much agree.