Tuesday, June 26, 2007

a bit of fry and laurie

I have been a big fan of Hugh Laurie’s work for a long time. So are a lot of other people now given his success in the title role in House. In fact, as of this afternoon facebook had 263 interest groups devoted to Hugh Laurie. Most are along the lines of how he is sexy or hot.

My most favorite stuff is the Jeeves and Wooster series, done with his best friend and old university roommate Stephen Fry. A couple of weeks ago I found a series of videos on YouTube from a long-running Brit TV series, A Bit of Fry and Laurie. I had never heard of this show before. (Earlier I posted the “Hey Jude” bit from this show.) In fact I spent most of a Saturday afternoon and evening watching clips from that show as well as other interviews, old commercials, bits done on Saturday Night Live and other shows. (Just go to YouTube and search for "a bit of fry and laurie" or "hugh laurie" if interested.)

With the acting awards received, Laurie reaffirms the old adage that not every actor can do comedy but everyone who can do comedy can act.

I love the British sense of humor and word play. I guess that is why I also like Monty Python and Fawlty Towers. However A Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy TV serials and books written by the late, great Douglas Adams is the best of the best of English humor. I consider Douglas Adams the greatest writer ever in the history of the English language. Every couple of years I have to reread his classic works. That said, I must also admit that the Hitchhiker movie, made after his passing, is less than good.

In the 1990’s Hugh Laurie also wrote a book, The Gun Seller. If you can get past the foul language it is an enjoyable summer read, a spy novel, a sort of a cross between Robert Ludlum and Douglas Adams. You can read the first chapter by clicking here. If you don’t love this, then don’t bother with the book. The Hugh Laurie-Douglas Adams brand of Brit humor is either something you love or something you can do without.

It's not everyone's cup of tea.

Be blessed!
RB

No comments: